Smudging is an ancient spiritual ritual. It is a Native American tradition that cleanses negative energy, entities, and spirits from a space and person. Many other cultures around the world share similar rituals. Smudging is done by burning specific dried herbs and resins and letting the smoke cleanse and bless the space. Some of the most popular herbs to use are cedar, sage (especially white sage), juniper, pinion pine, sweetgrass, mugwart, lavender, and sacred tabacco.
Benefits of Smudging
1. Smudging is purifying. Most sage hs antimicrobial and antibac
2. Smudging can release negative ions which helps to neutralize positive ones.
Common positive ions are allergens like:
- pet dander
3. Smudging is a spiritual tool. Smudging has been used in many different spiritualities to connect to the spiritual realm or enhance intuition. Healers in traditional cultures, burn sage to connect to a higher state.
4. Smudging clears negative energy. It can be used as a ritual tool to rid yourself, another, and/or a space of negativity.
5. Smudging can improve your mood. Smudging is an important traditional remedy for treating anxiety, depression, and mood disorders in certain cultures.
6. Smudging can soothe stress. White sage is rich in compounds that activate certain receptors in the brain. These receptors are responsible for elevating mood levels, reducing stress, and even alleviating pain.
7. Smudging can improve the quality of your sleep. It has been traditionally used to safeguard against negativity that could interfere with sleep.
8. Smudging can help boost your energy levels. Cleansing yourself, objects, and spaces of negative energy can help bring in new and more positive energies. This could have an energizing effect and help with fatigue.